Monday, July 19, 2010

Swallow Test Follow Up

It isn't uncommon for people who have a lung transplant to have trouble swallowing after surgery. Partially due to the tube down the throat for many hours along with the new lungs gaining strength afterward. This is the way I understand it anyway, so if I'm wrong forgive me. Anyway, I was one the more fortunate people because I only had to have a feeding tube up my nose for a week and some people have to go home with a feeding tube in their tummy. While wearing a feeding tube, you aren't able to eat or drink anything by mouth. Can you say cotton mouth? While I was in the hospital they did a swallow test to see if the food and drink was being ingested into my stomach and not into my new lungs, without my knowledge. See when the new lungs are attached, the nerve below the cough reflex is cut and you won't know that food or drink is going into your lungs. I don't understand it either, but it will lead to rejection and I certainly didn't want that to happen. I semi-passed the test meaning I was able to drink nectar thick liquid and eat chopped/soft foods without it getting close to my airway. This has gone on since I left the hospital, but it finished today! I went for my followup swallow test and I passed, meaning I could swallow anything, thick, thin, etc. without any problem! Oh Praise The Lord! I can eat good food again! I don't think my stomach could handle many more nectar thick liquids. There is no way to make a drink good with thickener. When we left, me and daddy went to Bojangles and got chicken for lunch. Then to chik-fil-a for vanilla milkshakes, yum! Later this afternoon we snacked on a watermelon that was brought to me all the way from my home state. Great Food! I'm stuffed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the whole swallowing thing is a creep out issue for me. I had no idea this was part of the post transplanexperience...my skin is still crawling. Glad you can eat real people food again, I bet it tasted amazing after all the squishy stuff. Mark one more hurdle off the list--woot woot.

    ReplyDelete