Thursday, July 15, 2010

Transplanted and at "Home"

I know a lot of you have been wondering about me and why I haven't updated my blog myself in so long. Honestly, I didn't even turn on the computer in the hospital. I was too tired by the end of the day. I don't regret choosing Duke as my transplant center, but they are serious about getting up and moving as soon as possible after surgery. I walked 3.5 miles one day around the floor. It felt sooo good to be able to do that without oxygen up my nose! It's hard work, but it will pay off when I'm healed. I was so thankful to be back at the hotel/"home" yesterday. To sleep uninteruppted was a blessing in itself. I don't think me or Philip even moved once our heads hit the pillows. Today has been another day of rest and learning about the new medicine regimen. When I first saw all those pills I was thinking "I'll never figure this out", but with patience and a little organization it's not too bad. I'll get my rest caught up soon and get my strength back. I didn't realize how weak I was until I went to step up on the sidewalk at the hotel and my leg wouldn't support me and I went to my knees. It scared me, but Thankfully I didn't fall onto my hands. I don't know if I could have stood opening up incisions. Now I have two scraped knees in addition to all the other scratches, holes, bruises, tape and iodine residue left on my body.
I'm so Thankful to be alive. It is amazing to be able to breathe. I am very blessed and I want to Thank Everyone for your love and prayers. I want to Thank my baby sister, Melissa, for keeping my blog up to date. She is an awesome woman! Please continue to pray and I'll keep you posted of how things are going from this point forward. What a journey I'm on!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa! Glad you didn't take that tumble and maybe cause yourself unwanted pain or problems. Another friend of mine who got her transplant told me it was so easy to breathe she kept wondering if she was doing it--or doing it right. It's hard to imagine but I'm sure it is a strange sensation. So good to hear your "voice" on the blog again. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved to read this from your mouth (fingers) tonight! So happy for you!0

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam. I'm Dawn. I live in Holly Springs, NC, about 30 minutes from Durham. My cousin's daughter, Erin, is living in Houston awaiting a lung transplant. My cousin told me about you since I'm here in NC so I came over to read your blog. Congratulations on your new lungs! It sounds like you're doing great. I know we don't know each other and you have family with you, but if I can do anything for you, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Pam, I totally understand where you're at right now. Rest up for rehab, and don't push yourself too hard yet. I'll be there next tues-fri so ill see you then!

    ReplyDelete