Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Road Trip to Duke

It looks like I may be taking a road trip in the near future. My doc wants me to consider being listed at Duke University in North Carolina. Duke has a track record for having a short wait time on the transplant list. Apparently I'm too fragile to even go home now. I may never go home again. This is a reality that hit me last night. If I go from the hospital I'm in now to Duke, I may not ever come back home. It is a harsh reality. Scary, but true. It's not something that will keep me from going. I'm ready for my chance at a new life. The way my health is now is not living. It won't be easy for my family to re-locate, but it can be done. I've had my evaluation at the transplant center in Alabama which is in drivable distance from my home, but hey, if the average wait is 6 mo. to 1 yr. or longer, I may not make it till then. I think I'll take door number 2. As of now I'm just waiting to find out just when my chariot will arrive..............

2 comments:

  1. Here's hoping your chariot arrives with just a bit of bibbity-bobbity-boo magic to get you to see the prince (or Duke as your fairy tale is playing out) and a new set of lungs will be your happily ever after.

    I am a 44 year old cyster who has had the transplant evaluation conversation with my cf doc--but still in the "who me, not now?" phase. After several hospital stays in a row at the end of 2008, I cultured MRSA in my lungs in Feb. 2009 and then I was off to the races. Now am on O2 and having lots more difficulties. Stupid MRSA. I kinda know what it is like to be a "hospital leper" and feel stuck in your room.

    I am here for a listening ear or a vent if you need one. I wish you all the best in the struggles you are facing.

    Hugs (in yellow gowns of course), Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lu Lu I am sitting in a motel in cedar city Utah thinking about you.You are in my thought prayers. Thinking of you Love Tim ps I am not very computer literate.Thank goodness for spell check

    ReplyDelete