Friday, May 28, 2010

Taking My Breath Away..........

I have never been a person that couldn't handle stress, but when I can't get my breath it is panic mode for me. This is only the 2nd time it has happened and the doctors and nurses did a great job taking care of me. It started out this afternoon when I just started feeling short of breath and stuffed up feeling. My heart was racing pretty fast and I felt "on edge". My O2 sats was in the mid 80's and they usually run in the upper 80's to low 90's. I didn't say anything at the time just thinking it was the caffeine I had at lunch. After a couple hours and me getting up to walk across the room, I wasn't feeling any better and requested a breathing treatment. Afterward, my phone rang in the room and I was already sob and then I realized I had to pee so I cut the person off on the phone and basically threw the phone down and sprinted to the toilet, only I didn't make it in time and proceeded to start "right" before I sat down. Great! gotta clean that up. Well, then my pulmonary artery decides to spasm and when it spasms it clamps shut, shutting off the O2 to my lungs and I start heaving for air and turning blue. This is when the panic decides to start creeping into the scenario. I pulled the emergency help cord beside the toilet and when the person asked if I needed help all I could manage was "help me". That was all it took for people to come running into the room. There I was, sitting on the toilet turning blue, heaving my chest, and puffing for oxygen and not in a sexy sort of way, lol. They quickly turned up the O2 I was already receiving and I asked for a fan and it arrived. My O2 had fallen into the upper 60's to low 70's, not good. Somewhere in the chaos I managed to let them know to let the person on the phone know I hadn't died and to take a message and hang up the phone. It took about twenty minutes, two breathing treatments, and some calming meditation to get me calmed back down. That was enough excitement for one day. I was tired, had a headache, and just wanted to go to sleep. I survived another one. Whew! That was NOT fun! I can think of a million other ways to get attention in here and that ain't one of them!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pam, that is a scary experience I know far too well! I hope it doesn't happen again! Will be e-mailing you later

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have recovered. We never really recover, do we, though? Just get less bad - if that makes any sense. At least that's how it sometimes feels. Every time something goes wrong, I wonder if this will be the one I don't recover from, if this is my new baseline. So glad we have the internet to connect with others who are going through the same things! Hang in there girl, your lungs are coming!!

    ReplyDelete