Wednesday, June 23, 2010

1st Dry Run

I woke up Tuesday morning a little before 7am. Right after I took off my bipap mask and put on my O2 canula, my cell phone rang. It was a tx coordinator who instructed me that I had a potential donor match and I needed to be at the hospital within an hour. Wow! I just got listed this past Friday and I'm already getting a call. I was excited about getting called so soon, but I was reserved to the fact that I would believe it when they told me it was a go. Once we arrived at the hospital, I had to do labs, xray, and had an iv started. They gave me an iv antibiotic, an anti-rejection med, and some vitamin E. The vitamin E helps with the healing process. As the day wore on I started getting hungry, then grouchy, and then my sugar started to bottom out. I was feeling nauseous, sweaty, and clammy. My sugar was checked and it was at 95 so the doctor's would not treat me with anything. I kept pestering the nurse to get the doctor. I felt like crap and was hoping at this point that the lungs weren't good so I could just go back to the hotel and eat. By this time we had been at the hospital for ten hours. Right about the time I getting ready to really show my behind, I got a call from the tx coordinator telling me that the lungs were not a match for me. I was kind of relieved and within ten minutes one of the nurses brought me a coke and a sandwich. She quickly recognized that I was indeed need of something to eat. I found out today that two men that have been waiting for lungs got theirs last night. Breathe Easy Guys and Congratulations! So I survived my first dry run and learned a few things for the next call. Unless I'm told to get to the hospital "now", I will eat before I leave and make sure I have some caffeine to keep that pesky headache away. ;-)

3 comments:

  1. HEY, YOU GONNA HAVE TO STOP TALKING LIKE THAT..I'M GONNA FUSS A MINUTE.. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE PATIENT AND STAY POSITIVE. AND DONT YOU DARE EAT ANYTHING WHEN THEY CALL YOU CAUSE IF THE LUNGS ARE GOOD FOR YOU, THEY WILL BE GIVEN TO THE NEXT PERSON.I KNOW THAT THE WHOLE SITUATION IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT, BUT NOW YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS GONNA BE LIKE..THEY ARE GONNA DO THE SAME THING NEXT TIME TOO. DO YOU REMEMBER MY 1ST CALL? I WAS IN FRONT OF THE OR DOORS WHEN THEY CAME OUT AND TOLD ME THEY WERE NO GOOD. YOU HAVE GOT TO KEEP THE FAITH UP!! EVERYONE LOVES YOU AND IS PRAYING FOR YOU.. "POTENTIAL" KEY WORD. THE FIRST 2 TIMES THEY CALLED ME THEY TOLD ME THAT I WAS A BACK UP, INCASE THE PERSON IN FRONT OF ME DIDNT GET THEM.. THAT 3RD CALL THEY SAID THAT THEY HAD A DONOR FOR ME.JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU EAT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. DONT EAT WHEN YOU GET THE CALL CRAZY.. :) 6 MORE DAYS I WILL BE 3 YEARS OUT AND I WANT YOU TO BE ABLE TO SAY THAT. SO KEEP THAT POSITIVE ATTITUDE. LOVE YOU, PRAYING..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! They know you are there--now just to get the right ones on board. Sorry about the low blood sugar thing, I hate lows. Sometimes you can be in a fast swing downward and if they test, you aren't technically low yet but headed there fast. Maybe next time take your own monitor with you so you can test multiple times. Nothing like a low to get you nervous and feeling crummy. They can put sugar in your iv if needed so you don't have to eat. Hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a test for you! I'm sorry that the match wasn't the right one for you and I am sorry that you felt so awful in the latter part of the day. Remember that you have so many people praying for you. Your friend's advice above sounds great! Thanks for taking the time to update us! Laura from FB :)

    ReplyDelete