Thursday, June 3, 2010

I'm Going To Duke

Today I found out I am going to be transferred to Duke University Hospital in North Carolina to be evaluated for transplant there. It seems that the other transplant center, where I am currently listed, doesn't feel like I'll be able to wait long enough for their average wait time which is 6 months to 1 year. Maybe they have too many people ahead of me on their waiting list, I don't know. I know my doctor doesn't want me to wait too much longer and frankly I don't either. The average wait time at Duke is only 21 days! Is that not awesome. I guess they have a lot more organ donors in their area than we have here. It happened like a whirlwind. One of the doctor's came in my room and said "it looks like you are going to be transferred to Duke" and I was like "ok?". It was like wham and my heart started pounding like I was waiting to ride the scariest roller coaster at the fair. The rest of the day me and my mom were on the phone letting family and friends know what was going on. Of course we have no definate answers yet because it is all still being "planned" as in whether I will be taken by airplane, ambulance, or private vehicle. I'm all for a road trip but planning to travel with oxygen is never easy. I guess I'll leave the planning to them and just know that all I'll have to do is concentrate on breathing and keeping my nerves in check.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lu Lu here is my email timbuckley56@yahoo.com love ya the hulk

    ReplyDelete