Sunday, June 13, 2010

New Friends

If I had to choose a way to meet friends I wouldn't pick an oxygen tank to get a conversation started, but hey, we're all here for the same reasons. Late this afternoon Philip went out to walk around the complex. I chose to stay inside after my two attempts to go out today proved to be too hot and humid even with 15 liters of oxygen blasting. I can't enjoy the fresh air if I can cut it with a knife. Tomorrow I will resign to walk in the exercise room located in the hotel's main building. I'll be a gym rat, lol. Anyway, Philip wasn't gone long and he returned with a nice lady who wanted to meet me. I'm embarassed to admit I have already forgotten her name, which for me isn't that unusual even before my body was deprived of O2. She is from Boston, MA and is here with her dad. He is currently on the transplant list waiting for a lung or maybe two because of pulmonary fibrosis. She had seen me earlier standing out by the truck with my oxygen tank and knew what I was here for. It isn't a club a person would choose to be a member of but we all have a connection. After listening to her describe her dad and how difficult it was for him to get up and walk just a few feet, I thanked God for the health I have been able to maintain to this point. People that move into a new town generally go to church to meet new people and although I have met a few transplant patients; at Duke people meet at pulmo rehab. The people I have met here tell me "I'll see you at rehab". I can hear the theme to Rocky "Eye Of The Tiger". Lord, Give Me Strength!
My fellow Cyster, Piper, is awake and off the ventilator. She is doing well. Please continue to pray for her recovery. God Is Great!

1 comment:

  1. hey Pam, keeping up with you daily and praying daily. Keep posting so I know exactly how and what to pray for each day. Praying for the news you need to hear today and that something no matter how small makes you smile or laugh today! Love ya, Shelia Moore

    ReplyDelete